Thursday, May 26, 2016

Quick Notes #17

1.  Working on the school story as advertised.  Slowly.  School story is a real drag any more.  It's just so trapped by what I've said before that I spend a lot of time double checking timelines.  Also, the disconnect between the Crazy of the mainline and pretty mundane high school setting continues to grow.

2.  This being said, the scene I'm working on now is pretty fun and one I wrote the other day made me laugh so hard I almost had an asthma attack, so...prepare for quality highjinks!

3.  Also thought up a way to cut about 3 to 4k words which I'm happy about.   The best scenes are always the ones you figure out how you don't need them, especially before you work on them.

4.  I've written over 130k words so far this year.  That's a lot.  I mean, it's a decent clip for Brandon Sanderson, for me it's some insane output levels.  I only usually write about 175 to 200k a year.  I could take the next four months off, have a subpar final quarter and still come in on my average.

5.  Not planning on that at all, but please understand that my productivity does usually drop in the summer.  Even with AC, a one hundred degree Fresno day isnt one you can easily survive while you have a laptop on you belching heat exhaust.  One day I'll escape this evil vortex...for like...Hawaii...where I REALLY would never write...

6.  Biggest current problem:  I could write...or I could just play some more Overwatch...

7.  Or Witcher next week...

8.  Hodor :(

9.  How can Flash be so good and Arrow be so bad?

10.  Gave away about 2000 copies of FM2 this week.  If everything holds course, about 1 to 2% will pick up the entire series.  Got to wonder about these people out there that don't read but just collect free books.  Think A&E should do a hoarding episode on them?

11.  Unfair FM6 teasing:  "I had him tied to the bed!" Hope shrieked. 

6 comments:

  1. I will meekly admit that I entered the FM realm via a free book and let it languish in my Kindle for probably a year. But once I read it, I hit the shopping cart and binged until I ran out of books. 2,000 copies?! Wow! I seriously do hope you gain an insane amount of new addicts. It is well worth it--I can't wait for FM6, and I don't find the school sessions mundane at all. They provide a foundation for all the crazy that comes after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am an enterer via the free book portal to the travails of KHP. Yes I am not proud and my therapist is helping me deal with my shame. For too long the cover pictures put me off. Funny, now they make sense. Happy to advise now you have some of my colourful Australian currency for everything else you have put out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I paid full dollar for every FM book, but then I'm old and wealthy. Nothing but good in reading a free book as long as you didn't steal it. Libraries, anyone? Dishing out free copies of one in a series sounds like a good plan, and is also beneficent. I also enjoy the different pace of the school sessions -- a bit like getting a twofer -- and appreciate the differences in voice and humor between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as print versions of these books are available I plan on sticking copies into every Little Free Library I come across, and there are oodles of them in the Twin Cities area. I love these books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind the disconnect between the main timeline and the school one. I actually enjoy seeing the relationships form in the school one, and the kinda relaxed pace. I mean the fight fight crazy of the main timeline is cool and all but it becomes more solid simply because you see how and why things happened based on the school timeline. I know it probably is becoming a chore for you to keep from hitting a massive plot hole but do know that your work on that front is appreciated!! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind the disconnect between the main timeline and the school one. I actually enjoy seeing the relationships form in the school one, and the kinda relaxed pace. I mean the fight fight crazy of the main timeline is cool and all but it becomes more solid simply because you see how and why things happened based on the school timeline. I know it probably is becoming a chore for you to keep from hitting a massive plot hole but do know that your work on that front is appreciated!! 😃

    ReplyDelete