Thursday, April 26, 2012

One Year and Three Books Later

It's almost been a full year since I officially joined the ranks of Indie-dom and began publishing digitally over Amazon's KDP.  It's been tough, fun, terrifying, and sometimes even glorious.  The BETROTHAL began it all for me on April 24, 2011, the first book I finished writing and one that probably would have never seen the light of day if KDP didn't come along.

The BETROTHAL ended up my experiment book for practically everything.  Learning how to finish a project, editing a project, formatting a project, making a cover, putting it through the system, seeing it utterly bomb and not realizing for a few months that hey, you need to tell people about it and get people to review it, silly writer.

Doing promo work has been the largest task with the biggest learning curve over the year.  It's not fun, it's not what I like.  I'm a mad scientist in his lab, not a salesman.  It's not in my personality.  But still, for my pretties I do try.  Book bloggers remain the bane of my existence.  Nice ladies all (99% of book bloggers are female...probably because they kill the males after mating with them) but the entire system is chaotic...I felt my small bit of German DNA calling for codes, standardization, and order as I looked, searched, and hunted for review policies.  It has a lot in common with trying to decipher forgotten languages, especially if the blogger in question has a thing for curly fonts.

The EATERS began in June 2011 and I must bashfully say hasn't moved much yet but I promise I will get to it eventually...

This is because of THE KING HENRY TAPES, the first book releasing in September 2011 and the second  March 2012.  My Urban Fantasy series is still struggling to get its name out in a crowded, if insanely popular, genre, but has received highly positive marks from everyone who has read it.  I know eventually people will find it and they will buy it and they will devour every novel I put out with King Henry Price in it over the next decade...but waiting...knowing you're sitting on the next big thing...it can be agonizing.

Looking forward to the next year in my Indie career it's going to be different.  Three novels in one year...that won't be happening for Year Two.  I've got nothing sitting here to edit or ready for publication.  The table I print and stack finished chapters on is completely bare.  This year will be about writing.  About starting and finishing my next round of novels and stories.

Because I'm still as hungry as when I started this...and I'm not stopping for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment