Tuesday, June 29, 2021

July-ish 2021 PURE INFERNO Quick Notes

 1.  Just a tad hot out here in California, well...the whole country really.  And the Artic circle apparently, which I'm sure is JUST FINE.

2.  Wrote a very acceptable amount this month, feel like I'm really making significant progress for the first time in forever.  [Cue Frozen music].  Like...I'm going to finish this book.  And the Vicky book not so long after it.  Which is how things are supposed to work when you're an author, but after the last few years in this quagmire of misery this is the first month I've felt like victory wasn't just possible, but it's going to fucking happen.  You almost start questioning yourself...did I really do this at least once maybe even twice a year?  Yeah, Richard, you did.

I mean...every novel I've ever finished has felt like a miracle at one point or another, but...so very nice to be back where I am and to feel like I'm reclaiming this career I sacrificed so much for.

3.  Still months of writing and editing for WAR TO END ALL WARS but...I can feel it now, it's not an idea, it's reality.  Also, I'm...me, I guess.  I'm sharp.  I'm thinking through all the angles.  I'm starting to remember bits and pieces of the series and how to connect them all.  I feel funny again and want to make people laugh and smile and feel all the wonderful emotions we humans are possible of.  And maybe a few of the horrible ones as well...

4.  Had a massive epiphany concerning FM7.  Seismic.  It changes nothing, but changes everything.  Heh.  More on this later.  Still thinking it through.  But...well...I guess I'll just tease you and say it cleans up some problems I had with the back half of the series.

5.  No delays and nothing has to be rewritten though, so don't freak out.

6.  July is stuffed with doctors sadly, so not sure if I can keep this pace up without getting distracted by REAL LIFE.  One year post surgery on July 31st so...they want their blood work and appointments and procedures and ARGH!!!

7.  Lost 160 pounds almost.  60 pre surgery, 100 post.  Walking a mile five days a week now.  Tried a bunch of different stuff but that seems to be the best for me.  Let my legs take the brunt and save my wrists and elbows for writing!  Need another round of new shirts probably.  3XLs are looking quite huge these days.  Food wise can pretty much eat anything I'd want at this point outside of sugary treats.  Still allergic to dairy and pork and nuts because of the stupid EOE throat thing, but...just had a whole black bean burrito for breakfast.  Yummy!  Without cheese...  😱  Stupid EOE!!!

8.  Was also the one year anniversary of my grandfather's death last week.  Tough.  Especially on my Mom.  Whole thing has been, but that week was bad.  You think you have it handled, and maybe you mostly do, but grief still hits you in ways you don't expect.  A favorite saying slipping from your mouth or a stranger at the store wearing a shirt that looks too close to one you've seen hundreds of times before...

9.  Anyone else watching the Euros?  Yesterday was CRAZY.

10.  Rereading Sanderson's Stormlight book 3 finally, so I can get back into that series.  Still have Abercrombie, Malazan, Hobb, and plenty more to catch up on!

11.  Stay cool!!!  Stay safe!!! Stay foul!!!

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing quite like that feeling when the writing is just--- there. For me, it is cinematic- I am describing the pictures and recording the conversations playing on the movie screen in my head... It is wonderful to hear that your confidence has returned, heat wave and all..

    Doctor visits are a necessary evil- but we will all hope for outstanding news. Given your weight loss and walking, I think that is probable. Your mileage shames me- I only manage 2 days with (more or less, usually less) a mile. Listening to music turns out to be the only way I can get through it- that and making sure I do the hill climb part at the beginning.

    I know precisely what you mean about loss coming at you out of seeming nowhere. My father died in June of 1993. And for a long time after, I would hear some "science fact" or similar on the radio and think, "I need to ask Dad about that. Oh." And I also find myself falling into apathy and slight (has gotten better with time) depression as the hot part of June kicks in. I had a lot of dreams in which I had to explain to my father that he "didn't make it."

    UEFA- I happened upon Christian Eriksen's collapse and realized he was being given CPR... That was quite surreal.

    And the results of the latest round have been- mind-boggling.

    Oh- and we also had a black bear raiding our bird feeder last Sunday... so THAT was fun. No King Henrys sh-tting on the lawn yet, but you never can tell....

    ReplyDelete