Monday, April 27, 2020

Been Really Sick (Not Covid)

So I was diagnosed with this thing called EOE back in January.  It's basically a type of allergic esophagitis where your system starts pumping out ungodly amounts of white blood cells in your throat (where they aren't supposed to be to begin with) and it can lead to trouble swallowing and heartburn and stuff like that.  My GI didn't seem overly concerned about it since he prescribed a pill and never really bothered to explain it to me in detail and I only got to talk to him for like 5 minutes in three months.  So, why should I worry, right?

Well...40 pounds later (20 of which was lost in the last week), 3 emergency room visits, a proof positive allergy to milk, a new diet that consists of removing every major allergen for the time being that's like half vegan hell and the other half with a distinct lack of pizza or tacos for my tastes, it's being pretty fucking horrible.

Imagine having heartburn that is the worst heartburn you've ever had and no antacid or pill or anything anyone on this entire world can do about it and you're stuck like that for a week.  Plus no eating.  Plus no sleeping.

During a fucking pandemic.

And oh yeah, I made the mistake of wheezing on the way in the second time--cuz Asthma--and I got sent to the HOLY FUCKBALLS scary part of the hospital that day.  Oh, all the doctors are in outbreak suits all of sudden, look at that.  Oh, people stuffed into dark glassed off rooms.  Me, sitting there in the middle of it, in shorts and a t-shirt, little tiny cheap ass mask, asthmatic, overweight, high blood pressure, THIS IS JUST SO FUCKING SAFE, ain't it?

"Don't worry, dude, if we actually thought anyone had it in here, they're be in there own room."

You're in an outbreak suit!

You have a handlebar mustache!

Why is there a homeless guy walking around in here with two different shoes on?

Why can I see that nurse's asscrack?  She's in an outbreak suit and somehow still her asscrack is showing and no one has bothered to tell her?

Why is that glass door open three inches?  Anyone?  Why do you all keep going inside of it and yelling at some poor old lady?

I just wanted a GI cocktail so the pain would stop for an hour!   One fucking hour!

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON IN THIS TIMELINE?!?!?

So...no writing has been done.

Just FYI...

I might be able to eat corn flakes tomorrow.

Yay!

With coconut milk...

:(

Important Update:  oatmilk > coconut milk, at least in the cereal-soaking-yummy-yummy department.

12 comments:

  1. Still check in every now and then on a favorite author. Sorry to hear things are bad on your side :(. I've been thinking of this. I've bought your series twice now. The first time to read. And a second time a few years later to just support again cause I finally had the money to do so and I never thought I was charged enough for the enjoyment I got on your series. Have you thought of a Patreon page (or another way of supporting regularly)? Even if it's just a few fans throwing a couple bucks at you every month, at least it's a free cup of coffee or two.

    Hopefully things take a turn for the better!

    A long time fan,
    Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nvm, saw response to similar post. I'll start talking about your series with whoever I know. Sadly not many big novel readers in the groups I'm in

      Delete
  2. Get well. Food allergies can be hell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds miserable yet funny - you surely have a gift. If you publish, I will buy. As an overwieght old person with high blood pressure, I hid a cough for weeks telling myself its only allergies b/c I was afraid of the covid police/stigma...probably a mistake as it pneumonia and I am on like5 medications.Feel Better

    ReplyDelete
  4. :( I've got a friend who has EOE, and my family is chock full of autoimmune issues that have us at risk for EOE, so ugh, you poor guy. :(

    Not related to your current situation, but did I miss a book?? I'm reading the whole series again and it jumped from session 56 to 65.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. There are sessions that are told but never written, like the Staff Theft or the Quilt Wedding, so they're skipped. Off the top of my head, that's probably the Quilt Wedding.

      You're actually "missing out" on an entire year between FM6 and FM7 school stories so there's a sixteen session gap, FYI. Although given how thick and beefy "The War to End All Wars" is looking, the 8 sessions you'll get will be the fattest, "how is there still not a break?" chapters ever!

      Delete
    2. Fair enough and can't wait!

      Delete
  5. That sounds horrible. I had C19 back in January and it was awful...
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take care of yourself, Richard. The world NEEDS people with talent and humor. The inability to watch you mention has manifested as an inability to read for me. I don't want to read about tension, and stress, and conflict- there is more than enough in the real world. I read books to ESCAPE. Which is why a KH binge is probably in my near future. Not that KH's world isn't real- or filled with conflict. But it has that (can't say "priceless"- cause- well, you know)... that invaluable quality of humor. And- if it will help, I will be happy to sacrifice a box of Tacos Bell Grande at the crossroads at midnight by the light of the full moon. Just say the word-- couldn't hurt, right? Stay safe, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm re-reading the whole series, and it hit me in the middle of the night that Baby Vega and Baby Soto could be in the same Asylum class if it came to pass. Whoa....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asylum Class Years, the bane of my existence!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete