Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Rather Horrid Medical Update

My father finally got in for his heart procedure yesterday, driving through Fresno at 5am in a rain storm being quite an adventure in itself, and...well they pretty much treated him like an electric appliance and switched him off and back on.

Normally this resets your rhythm but they tried 3 times and it did nothing.  So...not good all around.  It's only the first step, but usually it's a first step that works, at least for a number of months, so...very bad mojo.

Next week I have to take my mother in for her second vaccine shot and then get mine a couple days later, so that's good, if another distraction.  Second shot is supposed to hit harder than the first, so we'll see what happens there.

I also have my six month from my first post surgery appointment the week after that.  That side of things has been awesome.  I'm down 85 pounds since surgery, 140 since I set off on this path.  Back nerve weirdness is minimal now, throat thing is in remission and looking back I cant believe how much pain I was in day to day that now is just gone.  Wrists can still be a little funky, but I live with my braces on at this point and even they've gotten better without all that extra weight around.

I also think...well, if I wrote that well feeling like shit, what can I do going forward?

I'm hopeful for the long future again, but it doesn't look like my father will be there to see it.

More good news is that April and May are clear so far and, maybe I can finally go Mad Scientist?  We'll see...we'll see.

6 comments:

  1. I can't imagine going through all of that at once. My best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Withrow said...
    All the best to you and your family.
    John A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is hoping your dad is like mine- just stubborn and different for the sake of it... The Mrs. got the Pfizer shots, and I think the second was somewhat harder- but she came back within a couple of days. Maintaining good thoughts for you and all of your family. And hoping the Medieval Lego is as awesome as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egads--sorry the zapper didn't have the desired effect on your dad! Best of luck on the shots and continued recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the rough medical news. I had a grandfather who lived for fifteen years with an irregular heartbeat, so it can keep ticking even if it's not as steady as you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I'll give the one bit of hope I can for you regarding your dad. Mine went through the same issue, I've mentioned it in some comments on your previous blog posts. Long story short, the regular ablation procedure didn't work completely and it reverted pretty quickly to him having arrhythmia. When they eventually did the one where they actually do a bit of surgery, that was the one that got his heart back in rhythm and it hasn't been a problem since. You didn't say anything about him having to stay for monitoring so I'm going to guess on him having the lesser procedure done. I really hope that something can be done for him and that everything goes better for you.

    ReplyDelete