Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Watching, Playing, Reading: Combined Update Edition

Finally feeling a bit better post endoscopy, plus just general post surgery stuff.  Still handling the new stomach and everything connected to that stomach having the occasional trouble.  They tell you to eat lots of protein but they never mention that means you'll be shooting bullets out your poor backend.

It's also quite a lot of work staying hydrated, taking all the pills and just balancing what's going down my throat.  I think it's probably four to five hours of regimented eating+drinking+medicating before I can even 'start' my day.  And some days the stomach just nopes out on me getting any work done just because.  You will watch youtube videos, play football manager, and feel horrible nauseous and you will like it, Raley!

Drinking a cup of coffee a day again, that's been nice.  And I'm working on managing 1/3 cup of food per meal now.  One great piece of news is that thanks to the endoscopy biopsy it's confirmed my esophagitis is in remission and all those white blood cells causing the trouble have gone away, so...yay!  Still no diary ever again probably but...well, guess I'm gonna have to try me some vegan cheese soon.

We struggle on!

==WATCHING==

GOOD PLACE REWATCH INTO SEASON 4:  Just starting this, but I love this show so much.  It's just brilliant and so enjoyable and it makes the heart feel light and the brain get all tingly.  Yet...terrifying, so terrifying.  Not in a horror movie way, but I swear I have an existential  crisis every time I watch a new season.  Plus I've had a crush on Kristin Bell since VERONICA MARS, and she's quite good in this.  Which if you dig the school side of my books you should very much watch VERONICA MARS...like...now.  Go do that.

CHARIOTS OF FIRE:  How I think it's going to go:  hey let's watch some old Oscar winners we've never seen!  That'll be fun!  How it actually goes:  How did this movie win an Oscar!?!?!?!  So blah!  So boring!  You picked it over RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, what is wrong with you people!!!

YELLOWSTONE SEASON 2:  Pretty much every thing I said about season 1 but double.  Still with the mega super whiplash on what direction they're going in with the plot and the characters.  End of season 1:  Kevin Costner has cancer!  Start of season 2:  ummm...horrible idea, sorry we said that, I mean...just a ulcer, right guys?  He's totally okay!  We'd never kill the reason you're watching, what you think we are?  Stupid!  Season 1:  Jaime is this bad ass lawyer that fixes problems and keeps his simpler brothers from causing too much trouble and he's tired of his dad's shit so he's going to run for attorney general and burn it all down.  Season 2:  total pussy, total cuck, just...so unmanly and not cowboy, cuz cowboys are the coolest and lawyers are wimps!  Goes whining back to his daddy to fix his problems and is a total fuck up!

But the Beth character is fun...so there's that...

AMONG US YOUTUBE VIDEOS:  They're like mini contained episodes of SURVIVOR and I can't turn away...

PREMIER LEAGUE:  It's early yet and I've only been watching seriously for about four years now and I'm a horrible AMERICAN MEGA NEUTRAL but everyone is kind of shit except for Liverpool again, aren't they?

==PLAYING==

CRUSADER KINGS 3:  This is mostly what I've been doing the last week.  I loved CRUSADER KINGS 2.  Had so many great moments.  My first run with that game where I had no idea what I was doing and the six way war for the crown that broke out after my version of Willian the Conquer died will always be one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.  Having the Byzantium throne stolen from me as a child heir literally a year into the game after one of the worst RNG battle deaths I've ever seen and then refusing to restart, bidding my time as duke and then king of Bulgaria, having even worse luck as one of the most OP female characters I've ever seen died without a child just before I was about to retake the throne only for her less able twin sister to rise to the occasion and be crowned empress and be titled the Usurper, founding a dynasty that would go on the reform the roman empire and codify the unorthodox faith as the only one and true christian faith!  So good!  Plus the ASOIAF mod.  Plus the After the End mod.

So...3 is still rough.  Some crashing.  Bugs.  They've stripped societies and artifacts out of the game, which were some of the best parts of the previous.  I'm sure we'll see them added as DLC over the next year.  Also sure that we'll see some areas of the game get some loving and generally just more events and choices, since given how many people I've killed with poison spiders so far, I'm shocked the people of France haven't burnt down the forests yet.  So, it's very base.

But its a very pretty base.  And fun.  And it's got a lot going for it and I'm sure I'll spend probably a thousand hours playing it over the next five or so years.  Got to give another go at reforming Rome after all!

==READING==

BATTLEGROUNDS BY JIMMY BOY BUTCHER:  Literally just downloaded it on the kindle so not a whole lot to say yet.  Please don't suck?  Please be worth the 30 dollars you've made me pay for this story...somehow.

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are on the mend although it seems to be 2 steps forward, 1 backwards for you...

    Did you know there is a scale for sh1t hardness, called the Bradford Scale? 1 is basically dysentery and 9 is lead bullets. Bodybuilders who eat too much protein powder often get severe constipation, sometimes needing medical intervention. You can get stool softeners that might ease things a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank god u are doing better Richard.It is very reasonable that you will not return to writing in the near future.I will only say that as intriguing the side stories are, you should focus on the main story arc when you do return to writing.As most of us fans are desperately waiting for the next major plot in King Henry price world .with the amount of foreshadowing you have done it will probably take 10 books to tie it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watching--- still the usual round of BritBox and Acorn shows. We have become less tolerant of programs that "lose the thread" and will drop them after a bit of discussion--- which usually amounts to "are you enjoying this? Me neither." Case in point, Major Crimes. Just send frickin' Rusty Beck off to college or to the Whiner's Academy or wherever. King Henry would have a word for that character--- or several... as well as several kicks to the balls. (And the crowd goes wild.)

    Otherwise--- Spirited had a good start, but Season 2 has decided to try to go too many different directions at once. Which may be why that was the LAST season.

    Playing- still nothing worth noting. MAY get back to The Last of Us when I take vacation in a bit. Need to re-tool to defeat that first bloater... urgh.

    Reading- finished my however-many-eth read-through of all the FM books- along with my co-author, to whom I pushed them until she became addicted. I am a bad friend. Almost done with The Blade Itself. Interested to see where it goes--- I mean the overall story-line.

    Otherwise, finished the draft of Book 1 of the [Insert Title Here] saga and put it into the hands of the beta readers (or reader beaters, as the case may be). Book 2 is at 26000 all over the map words, but progress is progress, one hopes in the correct direction.

    So boss, watch out of those Asian Bullet Train poops... they can be painful. Good news on the recovery front; just take it slow. We are here for the duration- will take the words of KH excellence when they are ready. Genius takes time, and is therefore worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Battlegrounds is worth it.

    ReplyDelete