Thursday, September 10, 2020

Good News About Lack of Posts

 So...I'm writing!  Not crazy Mad Scientist Mode, but I've been making some serious progress for the first time in forever.  Been feeling a ton better, energy levels are up, not in pain like the last six months...so, things have been SO much better.  I still have days where the new stomach just isn't a fan of something new I tried and I'm gone for at least twenty-four hours, but that's still a huge improvement on where I was when the EOE first flared.

Also lost a ton of weight.  September 2019 to September 2020 I've lost one hundred pounds, sixty of that on my own pre-surgery so...pretty much nothing fits now.  Pants are gone, belts are gone.  I'm in shirts that were WAY at the back of the closet and I haven't worn since like...maybe college.  Haven't even really started exercising seriously because California is HELL ON EARTH at the moment and my asthmatic lungs are not fans of the apocalypse it turns out!  Plus, ya know, pandemic and all that.

The one thing I do have on my plate for tomorrow is that I'm getting another endoscopy done for the EOE, hopefully my last for a long while, since they need to check that fixing my stomach and hernia, plus the steroids are working and that I'm--cross fingers--in remission now as far as all the white blood cells wrecking havoc upon my GI tract.  So...I always get a little cranky for about a week after those.

But enough of all that...writing!  Yes, writing.  Rewriting and editing VICKY VON WELF AND THE MANCY MASQUERADE.  Quite a lot of work needed just on what I had actually.  You might remember that this story took place originally in the GLASSBREAKER GOES HOME.  As a counterpoint to King Henry's homecoming you also got to see Vicky and Tyson visit Welf Manor.  But there ended up being so much story to both that I ended up splitting it up and then...2019 and 2020 happened and here we are with me trying to get back on the roller-coaster!

Now, VWMM takes place months later.  So instead of being two weeks after FM6 its a week or two prior to FM7.  First of all, all of the summer descriptions need to change to winter ones, so...there's some work.  Also, instead of everything beginning, everything is coming to a conclusion.  Like for example, Vicky was thinking about doing a spectro collection about Eureka but now she's already done it and a lot of the story revolves around her unveiling the collection at this Welf Winter Gala that her family holds every year for Old Mancy Elemental New England.  In addition, since it was only two weeks later, nothing had really happened in the originally version, but now everyone has progress to where they will be in FM7 more or less, so I've got to give you lot some info on that too.  So quite a lot of rewrites there.

And in addition YET AGAIN to all that, this is now not half a story, but a full story, so more is going on.  There will be a plethora of familiar faces at the Welf Gala and a lot of politics, and ya know, T-Bone trying to not get killed by roaming Constructs and the like.  And new faces will appear as well.   Spent a whole day coming up with five different characters that are quite powerful and so far I hadn't brought up, but I think it's time.  Also a few of Class 2015 make an appearance, granted as 18yo's instead of 14yo's, but a small preview on WAR TO END ALL WARS.

This is a story very much in the same idea as GOES HOME in that if you wanted to skip it, you could. But...when the Angel of Death shows up in another novel and you're like "who the fuck is that?" that's on you dog.  Also, shame upon you!  Very much not recommended to skip even if King Henry isn't around, even T-Bone's super over-exaggerated head King Henry.  I think it has the potential to be a killer little novel that really sets the stage for FM7 and I'm going to be really trying to stay off the net and as long as my health keeps improving we actually have a shot to finish it, which I haven't felt about a book in a long, long while!

PS:  HOLY FUCKBALLS THAT DUNE TRAILER!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent to hear, boss! On the health front even more so than the writing side of things... because... sort of like, you have to have the healthy in order to get the writing. (There's some kind of Terry Pratchett Dwarf Hole Food menu joke in there, but I am too tired to drag it out). And the VWMM sounds just outstanding.... In other news, I finally created a KH convert. I have been subtly (and not-so subtly) pushing the books to my co-author. She finally took the plunge maybe a week and half ago--- and is already into Mancy Martial Artist. Only problem with that is, work on OUR first draft- for which we now have beta-readers lined up (gulp)- has come to a complete standstill. Of course- I get it... KH goodness in this hand... Getting our stuff pulled into shape in the other. No contest.

    Here is wishing you continued good health, sir. And completely NOT because I am jonesing for more KH- OR that the person I have now addicted will beat me to death because there aren't any more books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending good health vibes your way! Thrilled to hear you’re feeling better (and writing too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to read this, so glad you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete