Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Burnination #2 Part B

Second week of January I'll be getting the right side done C7-T2.  Left side feels a ton better now.  Still have some muscle weakness in the wrist and fingers so I'm not able to abandon my trusty wrist brace quite yet and typing might not feel like someone is slamming a knife repeatedly into my left shoulder now, but it's still uncomfortable.  I typed about ten pages of edits in a few days ago and it took about three different sessions with breaks in-between.  Maybe some of that is the right side leaking over and all that pain will dissipate after this is done, maybe I'll need some physio to build the muscles back up, but considering before the procedure doing something like that would've had me whimpering for two or three days, it's a huge improvement already.

Also I went out to the doctor and grabbed some groceries after yesterday and...I'm just kind of sore instead of wanting to die right now, so that's also pretty huge.

I've been writing a pretty good amount on the phone.  More than I could before.  One day I literally just predictive texted my ass through a whole scene setting up two different back stories I've been looking forward to share for years.  Up to 117k words now.  Or 425 manuscript pages.  Still working on the big halfway point moment (2015 Camping Test).  Big problem is...how do you make it interesting while KH can't actually take part in it?

Going to see how it plays out over the next few months, but if this keeps getting bigger and bigger I might just split it, publish what I have, and have the War to End All Wars half (2016 Winter War) be a second novel.  Or maybe I'll just publish a thousand page monstrosity, we'll see.  If I split it, I'll piss off people that want a "full story".  If I don't split it, I'll piss off people that think it's too long.  If I hack 1/3 of the novel out in editing, I'll feel horrible about killing my beautiful babies.

Really no winning.

So I'll just do what I want, neener neener!

9 comments:

  1. I vote monstrosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote do what you want. I'll just point out that the books have been getting longer as you publish them and I greatly enjoy we get more time with the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is pretty much "Character Moments: The Novel" with a smattering of world-building and heaps of jokes, so plenty for you to enjoy.

      Delete
    2. He'll yeah. Let's go!

      Delete
  3. Either way, Boss. Go Robert Jordan on that sucker if you want... or make it 2 (or 3) volumes. Better one of those options than destroying the village in order to save it. Point the 2- excellent news on the progress in getting writing done. Point the most important- glad you are getting to do "normal" stuff without it being debilitating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty hilarious in hindsight how worked up we Jordan fans got about having to wait a whole two years (gasp!) without a release.

      Delete
  4. I echo the previous commenter in that I trust you to do what's best. I love the world building you've done so I'm partial to seeing more rather than less so the single huge novel or split novels would be incredible. Splitting it up may make sense financially too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No sure I agree with you going Robert Jordan if that entails spending an entire book just moving characters around and then popping your clogs before finishing!
    If it just means publishing a 4-digit monstrosity, though, then go for it! Might even get it in print to sit next to my collection of Peter F Hamilton...

    Glad to hear things are (possibly, hopefully...) on the up, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe have em take inspiration from kh and pull something crazy during the camping test that makes the asylum worried?

    ReplyDelete