Wednesday, March 27, 2024

First Toe Dip Of Edit Hell Survived

Edit Hell is over.

Some pages are...very red.  With whole added conversations and descriptions written on the back of them.  Others...were perfect and barely have one or two marks.  Anyone else get paranoid when this happens?  There must be something wrong!  Where are you?!?

I'm taking a week off (outside of entering some of the 600 paper pages into the laptop each day or I'll never finish before release) until my next doctor appointment with the Spine Peoples at the start of April.  My mind is really exhausted at the moment.  Not a state you want to write the finale of your novel in.  Plus, outside of a couple episodes of Brooklyn 99 before bed I haven't watched any TV or movies and I really want to watch Shogun and the Gentlemen and Invincible S2 and...a billion other things.

Spine is still holding up moderately decent-ish, but RFA could need redone as earlier as May and next appointment I'll be talking with the doctors about whatever the MRI showed, so we'll see about that too.  So, April I'll take a shot at finishing the last couple chapters.  Lot happens in them and every chapter in this novel is MASSIVE so I'll try my best.  Will be having fun doing it!  Welf and KH have some very intense moments in this novel.  After that I plan a complete readthrough of FM1-FM6 to get all that info back into my brain since I've written a few scenes in this book where I'm like...that might be accurate, Richard, you need to check.

But i don't want to check, continuity is so stupid!  Who cares what floor their dorms are on?  Who cares if he took Sabine to the Winter Ball or not?  Did he take Vicky too or did I think it but not write it? I can't remember!  Waaah!

Your fault for giving a shit.  Could've just been a hack writing generic harem LitRPG, but noooo...

Waaah!

And then a computer edit and a final kindle edit.

Then ya'll get to enjoy it too.

10 comments:

  1. If you wanted a generic harem fanbase, sucks to be you. 😂

    Gotta love intense moments between KH and Welf--can't wait!

    Hope the spine cooperates and dr appointments go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, anticipation is rising. So stop it. I want to make sure I prioritize the health of writers and such I like more than wanting them to be work monkeys that just type away until I get what I want. Okay, joking done, this sounds like it'll be fun. Have you ever figured out about how many books you'd like to have over the course of the series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mainline story in the King Henry Tapes has always been a static 12 (so we're halfway). The individual stories have moved around some (FM4 and FM5 flipped, FM10 is now FM7 and FM7 is FM8), but I've always known exactly where we're heading and the last line is already written.

      The school story has been a lot more chaotic. I planned 12, but most weren't interesting enough so they got cut and in writing the last one, it turned out too much story and got broken off to its own novel and now split as well. So that's an extra two.

      Ancillaries ideas come and go based on my whims and boredom. The Vicky novel is 100% required before FM7 and maybe one more ancillary after FM8, but at this point with how hard writing is physically on me, I just want to focus on finishing the main books, so I'm unsure.

      After the Tapes is a 3-5 book series called "Worlds War Mancy" to end the story, which takes place after the Tapes are recorded (so significant time jump).

      Delete
    2. Would that include the current tapes King Henry is recording for his daughter or be just the past tapes?

      Delete
    3. "Old Man King Henry" is FM1 to FM12. "Just Graduated King Henry" is finished with Seismic Semester (next book) and War to End All Wars (soon-ish). FM7 (Most Obvious Trap) to FM12 (Asylum Ascendant) will not have any school timeline in it.

      Delete
    4. I didn't describe it right. I meant did the King Henry who's recording the tapes for his daughter, 'Old Man King Henry', experience 'Worlds War Mancy' or is it something that happens after he records the tapes for her. Like is Worlds War Mancy pre or post having dogs, kids, and a wife?

      Delete
    5. Okay, I get you. Yes, after ALL the tapes have been recorded. "Worlds War Mancy" is his future.

      Delete
    6. Well the hype is real.

      Delete
  3. Great! Looking forward to it.
    By the way, will KH's stalker / detective be having her mind blown at any point?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really appreciate your work, Richard! I've been keeping up with the series for many many years now, and am always excited to check in and see the updates. It's honestly one of the best and most original urban fantasies (I think it still classifies as that) that I've ever read, and I love it to bits.
    Glad you're looking after yourself as well! Back things are the WORST. It must be incredibly hard to get work done with that going on, so I really wanted to say that as one of your regular readers, I really appreciate the effort.

    ReplyDelete