Monday, March 25, 2024

Writing Order TBD? (Question for Fans)

So if I do split the last school story, which is looking more and more likely (currently in the middle of a going on three week mini Edit Hell btw and I'm losing my FUCKING MIND!) there's a bit of a question on what I should focus next.

It would either be...

Version A

The Foul Mouth and the Seismic Semester (Second To Last School Story)

The Foul Mouth and the War to End All Wars (Last School Story, direct sequel to Seismic)

Vicky Welf and the Mancy Masquerade (FM6.99)

The Foul Mouth and the Most Obvious Trap (FM7)

The Foul Mouth and the Runaway Rumble (FM8)

Or...

Version B

The Foul Mouth and the Seismic Semester (Second To Last School Story)

Vicky Welf and the Mancy Masquerade (FM6.99)

The Foul Mouth and the Most Obvious Trap (FM7)

The Foul Mouth and the War to End All Wars (Last School Story, direct sequel to Seismic)

The Foul Mouth and the Runaway Rumble (FM8)

*****

Version A would be sensible just because I'm already in the school mindspace with all the characters and its an easy continuation, but...Version B would give you the mainline real juicy shit quicker.

Basically you need to know the characters (Class 2015 and a few more) introduced in Seismic Semester for when they show up in FM7 and the Vicky novel, but you don't need the full story yet.  So...we can go back to the mainline for awhile.  Also, the Vicky novel is already like...2/5ths done...probably.  I haven't checked yet.  One novel is more than enough for me at the moment.

LOSING MY FUCKING MIND!

Who cares about Vicky that much?  RAWR, GIVE ME CURSING BOY!!!  Trust me...without spoiling anything...this book is important.  And, uh...there might be some cursing boy in it...

Go ahead and let me know if you have a preference.  I'm still undecided on this one and will probably go back and forth twenty times and let's get the one book out before we get ahead of ourselves, but...did I mention I'm losing my mind yet?

5 comments:

  1. Asking hard questions there. I think all your fans will agree, we want MORE BOOKS FASTER ARGH! But we also really want you to be healthy and in a good state of mind. So my answer depends: if version A causes you to burn out on school, then to hell with it and do version B. If not, I vote for version A. Version B will likely mean a cliffhanger for us readers, right? We'll survive, but I personally don't want to wait for years to know how KH cheated in winter wars or how he left the asylum. If doing version A is easier for you, it means you'll be better off and give us more precious books sooner. It's a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I'd prefer version A, because I'd like to go from part 1 to part 2 of the school story without interruption. Also, the Vicky book would be a nice break/transition to the main story. That said, go with whichever you would enjoy writing more, as you continue to heal. I'll read anything you choose to write. I'll even pay for the privilege, which I can't say about most books. (Libby is my best friend.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so after thinking about it, I prefer Version A. I'd rather see the story of King Henry as a student advisor finally come to fruition and you're already in the mindset for it. I know how much not being completely in the mindset for one project can wreck the process of working on something. With that said, I'll still argue that Version B has some solid points as well.
    1.) We get a story from Vicky's perspective quicker. I actually really enjoy seeing you go into the inner workings of other character's minds.
    2.) You can pepper in some anticipation with little easter eggs and references to what happened in his school years, like you have before, in the Most Obvious Trap.
    So in the end, you do you, but I say go with A. Last point, prioritize your damn health and ability to function like a normal-ish human being first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I am going to be the one who "Squirrels the Panel" (meaning the one judge who does NOT understand the perfection of everyone else's opinions).

    What the means is- I vote for version B... partly because I think that will be easier for you, Boss. But also because I tend to appreciate those time/character/location swaps, as they make me think about what I am reading, as opposed to just blasting through it like a 2-year-old who has been allowed to suck down Red Bull and Easter candy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For what it counts, I vote for version A. It sounds like it'll chronologically make more sense for the story by introducing characters that'll come up in the main story line after FM6. I'm also not a fan of cliff hangers so going from school story fall semester to school story spring semester gets a thumbs up from me.

    ReplyDelete