Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Step One Down

Okay, Prep Reading is done.   28 notes to consider for the edits.  I really hate reading my old writing.  Even novel to novel you learn so much, go back years and it's really cringe.

Really...you always see improvements, it's just a matter of time and finally letting go.  Though part of you never wants to...and if you're a billionaire you even get to force your special editions onto everyone!

On one hand the writing in the earlier part of the series is sparse and simplistic but there's also an innocence and brevity to it.  A single-minded determination to be in your face and take no prisoners.  But...everything is more complex these days, the characters, the plot, the prose, and some of the scenes I craft with the way characters go at each other and even the writer can't decide who's in the right...chef's kiss!

Part of me just misses a bit of the brevity I suppose.  Although I did just write a 170 page story that had a nice little arc and got the job done with plenty of hints and world-building added on top, so...maybe it's just King Henry that needs to shut his foul mouth!

Yeah, blame that guy, he never shuts up!

What an asshole!

Some trouble I am having with all this experience as an author, not related to "Everchanging Dilemma" but "War to End All Wars" is that King Henry has advanced so much in my head, in your hearts, etc that with respect to the double timelines the Hep King Henry really is more civilized and complex than he comes across as the graduated KH in FM1.  I have to keep reminding myself to not hold back and think...oh yeah, he'd totally be that big of an asshole!  Even though...probably still a more understanding less in-your-face KH than unadulterated FM1 stuff.  Arcing into an arc...pretty tough!  Landing might be rough!

Although perhaps there's a weaselly out to say technically FM1 adult KH is middle age KH remembering what that felt like so maybe it's good that it's not exact?

Anyway, I'll start the second draft some time this week I hope.

My back is...I can still sit a chair at least.  But not as easily as last week.  Might need to take a day in bed.  Stop getting in street fights.  Give up the orgies.  Stuff like that.

Perfect excuse to watch all of What We Do In the Shadows Season 3!  RR recommended TV series for sure!  Oh, I'd love for Annie B to meet those dipshits...

1 comment:

  1. Several thoughts on KH and his growth. Although I have read all the books multiple times, I have never had a moment of "Wait- THIS KH is inconsistent with THE OTHER KH...." Granted, he does not live in my head to the extent he does yours- and that is a GOOD thing. But as to the specific- I just finished reading FM1 again- because it is either that or play video games. And then I will have to save Danny Trejo's taco business from being taken over by the authoritarian government in Far Cry 6...

    Where was I? Oh- 21 year old KH seems to fit pretty well with the specific circumstance- he has accepted (however grudgingly) the strings, including the teapots... Ceinwyn has "recommended" him to Annie B... he is recording a tape because of aforementioned strings. He has reason to "regress," if in fact he has.

    Another take on the taping this for the next gen KH is to compare it to "Life on Mars" (the good one, with Philip Glennister). The Metro Police of Sam Tyler's vision are just that- his VISION. So as KH is recording events and memories and etc., even though he has grown, he is envisioning himself as he was... and we all know memories are filtered. Also- the middle-aged version only intervenes a few times- and the readers only have those few moments to get to know him.

    In the end, unless someone whose opinion you REALLY trust is finding inconsistencies, there is no problem.

    Definitely limit the street fights. Take care of your back.

    In the end

    ReplyDelete