Monday, November 1, 2021

That was a Crazy Day...

 Well...my edit note list is already 18 items long and I've still got 3/4ths of "Dread Fortress" left to work my way through.  Plus I got into a six hour wonderland dive of checking through everyone's class year and finally said "fuck it" and created a great big list where every character will eventually be added.  Goes back to Class 1982 at this point...

Class years might be the only bane of my existence worse than timelines!

Crazy thing is I don't think I've found an error yet...so...accidental genius?

Or I'm an idiot and you'll all point out my errors like usual.

Basically it all started with me trying to figure out how Ceinwyn/Strange would fit together while at the school together and if Evelyn had to go to med school and do a residency then was she around when Ceiwnyn killed Paine/Amis died in 2001 and also if she was that class year then that would mean Mordecai Root would have been her student-advisor when she was a Single...accidental genius confirmed!

Also I have this class list of King Henry's class from when I started world-building and it lists all of the classes siblings (not all named since fuck that, but how many and where they relate age wise, etc.) so I decided to go through that and add them to my snazzy new file and just some interesting things popping up or barely missing out.  Is Wilson Hunting in the same year as Christmas Ward?  Nope, year younger than her.  Blake Gullick is in 2013 with the Four Peers, Maud Gullick is in 2017 which is a year older than Christmas Ward.  Dawn Hunting is in the same class as Matty Rivera and could have been a student-advisor for KH if she was chosen.

Miroslav Urban mentioned as the youngest Strike member having just graduated gets placed in 2011 with Falcon Smart and Dahlia Gullick.  Eugenie Gotha is four or so years older than T-Bone which puts her about 2001.  Which means she was a Single when Paine/Amis died.

Hey, if JoJo HAD gone to the school would she have been in the same year with the Three Queens?  Nope, but Susan likely WOULD have been King Henry's student-advisor.

I mean, some of this I knew and I'm just playing it up for this blogpost, but it's nice to have it all written down.  I really need to do this more going forward and like I said spend more time doing groundwork even more than I already do.  Plus updating my concordance with the last 7 something books/novellas is probably an emergency mission at this point...

But I could be writing instead!

Or editing!

4 comments:

  1. Now MY head hurts.... And I have trouble juggling TWO main characters with alternating first-person POV. And they only have (counts on fingers) 4 siblings between them (plus assorted parents and other "important people in their lives").

    Regardless, one of the things that has just boggled my ADHD brain over the years and books has been the clear indications of how much of the story arc you planned from the beginning. [bow down] I never say as much as I should about how genuinely impressed I am by the skill of your story-telling and world-building. When I used to teach literature (with the occasional rock'n'roll song thrown in just because)- a term I used was "a well-crafted story." By which I meant, the writer is so skillful that the reader cannot see exactly how it was done- all we know is... "Wow! This is a great story!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you call it when the author doesn't know exactly how it was done?

      Asking for a friend...

      Delete
  2. ....I never really thought of the ramifications of all three Price siblings going to The Institute at the same time. It's... kind of hilarious. JoJo wouldn't habe to worry about pregnancy and Strange could fix any other issues, Susan would watch over them as Susan would, and they'd have had each other to fall back on after their mother's death. Overall, it's an interesting concept and depending in what the Dragons can do, the idea could be explored.

    ReplyDelete